Save the date
Aims & Objectives
• Discuss early diagnosis of periodontal and peri-implant diseases including screening in children and adolescents
• Illustrate why implants fail using the latest video graphic illustrations
• Illustrate in a case-driven presentation, the consequences of late diagnosis of peri-implant diseases and those of the soft tissues of the mouth, which really could be a matter of life and death.
• Illustrate the surgical techniques involved in implant salvage
• Discuss the evidence for longer term survival of implants verses periodontally involved teeth
• Appreciate the success rates of osseointegrated dental implants
• Understand the key risk factors for implant failure
• Appreciate the challenges of managing peri-implantitis
• Be aware of the evidence base for retaining teeth verses replacement with implants
• Understand medico-legal issues related to implant dentistry.
About Iain Chapple
Iain Chapple is Professor of Periodontology and Head of the School of Dentistry, University of Birmingham UK. He is former Scientific Editor of: the British Dental Journal; Journal of Periodontal Research and current Associate Editor of: the Journal Clinical Periodontology and Periodontology 2000. He has written 7-textbooks and 16 book chapters. He was President of the IADR Periodontal Research Group (2006-7), Group Chair (2008-1015) and Counsellor (2016). Iain was Treasurer of the European Federation of Periodontology (EFP) 2007-2013, co-chairs the EFPs Workshops, was Chairman of the EFP Scientific Advisory Committee and Editor of JCP Digest (2014-2016) and is currently EFP Secretary General. He was British Society of Periodontology President in 2014-2015 and awarded the Charles Tomes medal of the Royal College of Surgeons in 2011 and the IADR Periodontal Research Group Rizzo Research Award (2001). He is the IADR Distinguished Scientist in Periodontal Research 2018 and was awarded the special citation award of the American Academy of Periodontology 2018. He leads Birmingham’s Periodontal Research Group, has published over 200 peer reviewed manuscripts in the international scientific literature and is Director of Research for the Institute of Clinical Sciences.